One great way to help yourself gently detox each day is to have a smoothie.
Juicing is great, but it can be messy and you need a good quality juicer. Another advantage of a smoothie is that you retain the fibre from your fruit and vegetables.
If you’re suffering from hypoglycemia or you’re trying to lose weight, smoothies generally give you longer-lasting energy levels than the quick-release action of pure juice. That’s not to say juicing is bad – it definitely has its place, but a smoothie-a-day will keep the doctor away!
A good quality blender does help, but if you only have a hand-whizzer that’s usually fine. Mixing fruit with vegetables is generally a good idea if you’re new to this. Pure vegetables can be a bit strong-tasting for some people until they get used to the taste and texture.
Banana is always a good base and you can always add a high-quality protein powder, such as Sun Warrior, if you wish. Then just mix in your favorite fruits. Soft fruits such as strawberries and raspberries work really well, kiwis are great, and so is papaya. Adding a handful of baby spinach or kale is a good start if you’re not used to the strong veggie taste of other greens. Try a seven-day challenge with one of these every morning and see how you get on. It may not quite as hard as you think!
- Curly kale, broccoli, watercress, cucumber, fresh basil leaves, banana, pink lady, nectarine, water
- Baby spinach, broccoli, pak choi, curly parsley, avocado, mango, lemon juice, ginger and water
- Baby spinach, curly kale, broccoli, avocado, banana, passionfruit, lemon juice, fresh basil leaves, chia seeds, protein powder and water
- Broccoli, curly kale, pak choi, tomatoes, carrots, banana, ruby grape fruit, kiwi, passion fruit, fresh ginger and water
- Curly kale, baby spinach, granny smith, banana, tomatoes, fresh ginger, ruby grapefruit, beetroot and water
- Baby spinach, curly kale, broccoli, banana, granny smith, pomegranates, chia seeds, protein powder and water
- Baby spinach, curly kale, pak choi, carrot, banana, kiwi, ruby grape fruit, fresh ginger, chia seeds, protein powder and water
If you prefer to follow a more structured plan try this Green Smoothie 7-Day Detox Plan. It’s packed with ideas and menus to help you lose weight, gain more energy and set you up for a lifetime of good health habits. Smoothie combinations and photo: Toy Turtle